Highlighted
May 19 2017
By: Stefan_Adas2 First Son 4 posts

DS4 won't pair via Bluetooth in PS4

[ Edited ]
7 replies 179 views Edited 3 days ago

So, I recently booted up my PS4 after 3 weeks and tried to play with it, however the controller wouldn't work. I tried the reset button, I tried the 'PS+Share' buttons but it didn't work.

I then tried to connect the DS4 to my PC with DS4Windows, and you know what, it actually worked. This controller was fully functional after all. However(there is always a twist), when I unplugged my charging canble, the connection was instantly lost. This also happened in the Safe Mode when I booted up the PS. Long story short, the Bluetooth on my controller is numb and won't work, this means that the only way to use my PS4 is via USB (which I tried). If you don't understand why he controller didn't work after plugging it in with the USB, it is because the DS4 will use Bluetooth pairing recardless of the USB connection or not, unless this is manually altered. You see, after nothing worked, I managed to come up with something, a plan:

If I can manage to somehow get into my PS4's settings and change my DS4 connection to USB only, without a secondary controller or primary controller, I would be able to recover my PS4. So this is why I'm asking for your help with this plan.

Smething I would like to point out when trying to solve my questions is that:

I don't have warranty

I don't have a secondary controller

There is literary no way of pairing my controller to ANYTHING via Bluetooth 

I can't buy another controller

Nothing else worked and this is basically the only plan I have to recover my console

My TV isn't Sony, so technically I can't use the TV's remote to controll my device.

This is serious and I really need some fresh ideas, I have tried every button combination possible. If there is any way of patching this issue using some sort of patching tool, I'd be glad to get the link to that. If I find a solution I will post it for whoever needs it as well.

Mod Edit: Thread moved from PlayStation General. -SpicyGoose19 

Message 1 of 8 (179 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
8605 posts

Re: DS4 won't pair via Bluetooth in PS4

3 days ago

The PS4 does not pair with a DS4 via Blue tooth at any old random Screen if it did the neighbour would be able to high jack any PS4 he wanted just by pressing share + PS HOME button.... and the game would be paused whiile it waited for you to compete the pairing request..

The Bluetooth pairing screen is a SINGLE screen in the Bluetooth devices page... NOT just any old page you have to navigate to that page to enable pairing mode...

USB key board and AUTO login set up are used to RECOVER the connection

YES if BLUE TOOTH is dead on DS4 V1... You will not be able to use it on PS4 you will also not be able to use the 3.5mm jack connection, the light bar, the Sixaxis v3 or the motion controlls on PC ether... as they also can require the Bluetooth connection on PC not USB... 

So yep the first generation of DS4 are perminant Bluetooth play and charge controllers, Bluetooth to play while USB to charge...

DS4 version 2 is full USB supported... on PS4 but not PC still...

If you had USB keyboard you Could adjust DS4 connection methord to USB..

But as soon as you went into safe mode that option is now likely been disabled as well... If you had not gone in to safe mode you could have used login and gone to both setting pages...

If you had not gone in to safe mode the console would still boot to dynamic menu and the USB keyboard would have worked...

to go to the devices screen

When My PS4 lost all Bluetooth devices using USB keyboad allowed recovery...

SIEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester

From SIE blog firmware 4.50 post "There is no guarantee that all USB storage devices are compatible with your system." 

Message 2 of 8 (170 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
732 posts

3 days ago

Just plug it into the PS4 than press the PS button.

Than unplug. Hold PS button and turn the controller off. Than press the PS button again to see if it syncs with the system on its own.

I have to re sync my controllers often because I switch them between systems.

Message 3 of 8 (162 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1120 posts

3 days ago

Did you plug the controller in the PS4 with the cord? That is what we did when we bought 2 new controllers. You have to connect it with a cord first to the ps4 so it can set it up.

Xbox: SuzyRedd
Twitch Channel: Surrender Dorothy
YouTube Channel: Surrender Dorothy

[URL=http://www.trueachievements.com/SuzyRedd.htm][IMG]http://www.trueachievements.com/gamercards/SuzyRedd.png[/IMG][/URL]
Message 4 of 8 (156 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

[ Edited ]
2 days ago

So what you are saying is that my DS4 is now permanently damaged and I won't be able to log in again using my Gen1 DS4?

If so,is there any other way?

I've tried to use the 'Restart System so now I need to reconfigure my settings :/

Restart System: Restart the console and prompt the user to reconfigure the audio and video settings.

Message 5 of 8 (118 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

2 days ago

Ok then, new plan: 

If there is any way of using my laptop as a monitor for PS4 (preferably using PS4 remote play) and use the USB hub on my PC to connect the controller and use the PS4 from there. There is a catch, since I went into the Safe Menu, I cannot use a keyboard and I cannot access the code for the PlayStation App.

Any suggestions of pairing my PC to my PS4 using free programs would be great. 

I have a Laptop by the way

Message 6 of 8 (113 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

2 days ago

Yh I did. The problem here is that my V1 DS4 only works using Bluetooth unless altered otherwise. I have tried to connect using the USB cable, but to no success.

Message 7 of 8 (112 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
8605 posts

2 days ago

Pre september 2016 DS4s were Bluetooth play ONLY plugin a USB cable and Bluetooth does not shut down because the PS4 connected Via Bluetooth...

These controllers are DS4V1 Charge and play at the same time...

Post september 2016 DS4 were PLAY via USB or Bluetooth once you manualy flick the switch on the console...

Firmware update enabled SUPPORT for DS4 V2. with out the firmware update to the PS4 these NEW DS4 V2 would not work via USB...

They still don't work on  HDTVs because they don't have the Firmware update needed...

IF your Bluetooth components on any side don't work with DS4V1 Then you CAn not play if thats the only DS4 you have...

SIEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester

From SIE blog firmware 4.50 post "There is no guarantee that all USB storage devices are compatible with your system." 

Message 8 of 8 (80 Views)
0 Likes