May 19 2017
By: Grundberg Uncharted Territory 1380 posts

Back up three user accounts' saved data on same external device?

4 replies 119 views Edited 3 days ago

I have three users who use my PlayStation 4, so we all have our own saved game data.

I have a USB flash drive for backup. Is it possible to back up the saved data (not game/application data) for each user -- separately -- onto the flash drive? Or does it all get backed up into one folder?

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

- Grundberg    (PS4 owner since November 2014)

Current library:  Dangerous Golf, Geometry Wars 3, Grand Theft Auto V, How to Survive: SWE, Mortal Kombat XL, Peggle 2, Resogun, Sleeping Dogs, Super Stardust Ultra, Surgeon Simulator, Tetraminos, Uncharted Collection, WWE 2K17
Message 1 of 5 (119 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
5761 posts

Re: Back up three user accounts' saved data on same external device?

2 days ago

Hi @Grundberg

If you're backing up individual save data via the Application Save Data management tool, then yes, you can back up save data for multiple users to the same drive.

This save data will be kept seperated between users. So for example USER A will only be able to backup their own save data to USB, and restore only their save data back to the console.

As for where it is stored, I don't remember exactly, but I'm quite sure that the save data, and the folder structure within (if you look at it on a PC for example) is encrypted and structured in a way where I dont think you can just grab the data, or see it seperated by user. However, it is making that seperation between users on the backend. So all user data is seperate from each user when you backup and restore.

The only exception worth mentioning is that any Local only users (no PSN Account associated) can only have their save data restored to the same PS4 console it was backed up with. If you plan on moving the data over to another PS4, any local only users must be turned into a free PSN Account.

Cheers!

SUPPORT: DATABASE | LIVE CHAT | SYSTEM UPDATES | REPAIRS

CUSTOMER SERVICE: 1-800-345-7669 (Mon - Fri, 8am - 8pm PST)

Message 2 of 5 (88 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1380 posts

Yesterday

Thank you for the detailed explanation! Smiley Happy I went ahead and backed up each of our three user accounts. Each had to be done individually, and took about five minutes each with a one minute reboot time in between. (That's when I realized my flash drive was USB 2.0 and PS4 Pro can use 3.0.)

Upon viewing the backup flash drive (PS4 -> EXPORT --> BACKUP), I was unable to determine which account each of the three new folders corresponded to. There's no discerning between folder size and creation date. The folders were numbered as follows (I would assume chronologically):

201705210902_00 - Mine

201705210908_00 - Friend

201705210913_00 - Friend

I had hoped that the "00" would be the numbering identifier, but the time stamp works just as well. (What is the "00" identifier?)

So, as a test, I tried backing up the main account a second time to observe its represention. As expected, a new file was created:

201705210931_00 (Mine)

So I know that when backing up multiple user accounts, it's crucial for me to identify which one is which. Hence a README file must be implemented to note accordingly. Smiley Happy

However, each account is backed up as desired and fairly easy to identify. Thanks again for your assistance! Smiley Happy

Current library:  Dangerous Golf, Geometry Wars 3, Grand Theft Auto V, How to Survive: SWE, Mortal Kombat XL, Peggle 2, Resogun, Sleeping Dogs, Super Stardust Ultra, Surgeon Simulator, Tetraminos, Uncharted Collection, WWE 2K17
Message 3 of 5 (56 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
5761 posts

14 hours ago

Hi @Grundberg

Glad to hear. I would mention however, that if your intent is to copy OFF of your USB drive, and store them elsewhere, and then pull them back onto a drive when needed, I have heard instances of not being able to move those save files back onto a PS4.

I honestly don't know much about this myself, but if this is your intent, you may wish to do some research. I don't think the PS4 likes data that was modified in any capacity (even if you're just changing something like a Modified Date or copying to another location and back). It's possible it may be a preventative measure against things like modding save data and whatnot.

Like I said I could be wrong, but it's worth looking into. Ultimately this method is meant to just have your data live on the USB drive as the PS4 made it, until needed. So if that's your intent you'll be fine. If you're planning on dissceting the save data itself, you'll want to proceed with caution and investigate further.

SUPPORT: DATABASE | LIVE CHAT | SYSTEM UPDATES | REPAIRS

CUSTOMER SERVICE: 1-800-345-7669 (Mon - Fri, 8am - 8pm PST)

Message 4 of 5 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1380 posts

9 hours ago

Dead-Sync,

Thank you for your guidance on this interesting question. Throughout this procedure, there's been no foolish intention to alter the filenames or their structures. Just stating that not only successfully backed up all three accounts as desired, but I'm also able to tell them apart accordingly.

It's great to have knowledgeable people here to field any and all questions.

Thanks again! Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 5 (14 Views)
0 Likes