Uncharted Territory
1668 posts

Re: *PS4 ALLOW ID CHANGE*

[ Edited ]
Jul 25, 2013
I don't see why people are so against ID name changes. I honestly don't...if someone can give me a legitimate reason as to why this is a bad idea please explain it to me
Message 21 of 2,427 (2,666 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8697 posts

Jul 25, 2013

Unclear_Motive wrote:
I don't see why people are so against ID name changes. I honestly don't...if someone can give me a legitimate reason as to why this is a bad idea please explain it to me

yeah, I don't see how this would affect other people.  Why are so many people against it?

~Fighting the Good Fight~
Message 22 of 2,427 (2,657 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5477 posts

Jul 25, 2013

JSiggy wrote:

Unclear_Motive wrote:

yeah, I don't see how this would affect other people.  Why are so many people against it?

I, myself, don't take issue with the idea, although I can see it being exploited on the XBL side of the house (selling gamertags/gamerscore), and would hate to see the same done here.  In and of itself, the ability to change one's name is fine.

If there is anything people seem to be against, it's the threads that keep popping up without using the search feature.

Grindhead_Jim

Message 23 of 2,427 (2,867 Views)
Lombax Warrior
138 posts

Jul 25, 2013

I see why people would want to change their PSN IDs, but from the standpoint of a person that only has one other alt on other services, I don't see why you would absolutely NEED to do that. 

I mean, in my Steam Friends list, I've got people who've changed their Usernames to Gimmicky **bleep** so much apart from their Avatars, I don't actually remember who they were.

I created my Username back in the early Oughts (Between 2000 and 2010) when I set up my first Email address and, aside from Forums wherin my usual Username was too long or unavailable, Have gone by the same Username ever since. 

If you decided "XxX_420YOLOSWAGQUiCKSCOPEZMODZ_XxX" was a good idea for a Username, all the power to ya but ya gotta live with it. 

When in doubt ask yourself;" What would Daryl Dixon do?"
Message 24 of 2,427 (2,974 Views)
Welcoming Committee
14685 posts

Jul 25, 2013

JSiggy wrote:

Unclear_Motive wrote:

It causes mass confusion. It is very common among Steam players. 

Me especially. I have tons of friends on Steam, but I only know who half of them are. They have changed their usernames a thousand times and I have to go to their Steam account sign-in to know who each one is. It is terrible.

And XBL does it too. I do not have an Xbox for a personal story, but I see no reason why the same thing would not occur

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 25 of 2,427 (2,852 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1668 posts

Jul 25, 2013
I think it's a good idea to be able to change your PSN ID. It can be positive revenue for Sony. Charge people $10 or $20 for a change of ID. It keeps people away from changing it if they don't need to, and it promotes profit for Sony for people that absolutely want to change it.

If you are worried that people will change it too many times, just make it to where people can only change it once a year or only one time per account.

What do you all think?
Message 26 of 2,427 (2,820 Views)
Welcoming Committee
14685 posts

Jul 25, 2013

Unclear_Motive wrote:
I think it's a good idea to be able to change your PSN ID. It can be positive revenue for Sony. Charge people $10 or $20 for a change of ID. It keeps people away from changing it if they don't need to, and it promotes profit for Sony for people that absolutely want to change it.

If you are worried that people will change it too many times, just make it to where people can only change it once a year or only one time per account.

What do you all think?

There are also complications when talking to people. 

For example, what if I changed my username to Cod-SnipezorzHDnoScope?

What do all 80 of my friends call me? Bob? Or do they try and get used to my new name? It is still a confusing matter and usernames should just be made with the future in mind. IT is like getting a tattoo. If you want to get a tattoo, you think about it hard, so you do not have burn your skin off to get rid of it.

It would be like your best friend trying to get you to call them by their middle name. Uncomfortable and unnecessary.

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 27 of 2,427 (2,812 Views)
Welcoming Committee
5466 posts

Jul 25, 2013

one of the problems is that old tags do not get used again, if you think it is hard to get a GT now try getting one when people can keep changing names. 

Message 28 of 2,427 (2,805 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5477 posts

Jul 25, 2013

Ikit-Klaw wrote:

one of the problems is that old tags do not get used again, if you think it is hard to get a GT now try getting one when people can keep changing names. 

I worry about that, too.  Still, if there were a time-release, say, 2 years, or something (but only on changed names, which are effectively abandoned) - that could work.

Also, with XBL, people would hange their names, and I would be none the wiser.  Requiring that your friends list be notified of the change would work wonders.

Also, limit the ID change to once every 12 months, or something like that.

If all that is implemented, I'm far less weary of the idea.

Grindhead_Jim

Message 29 of 2,427 (2,799 Views)
Lombax Warrior
183 posts

Jul 26, 2013

The extra funds for ID name changing would be good for Sony. One of my sons friends on xbox has changed his name 6 times already... I can't believe he wasted 60 bucks doing all that.

Message 30 of 2,427 (2,764 Views)