May 19 2017
By: MechaBouncer First Son 14 posts

DualShock Pocket

6 replies 153 views Edited 3 days ago

I'm going to preface this with the information that I have attempted to submit this through the PlayStation Blog, but have been refused for this and numerous other ideas in the past because it thinks it matches something that has been previously submitted because I used a word like "full" or "offer". That system is just plain broken. Also, I have done a search for this and the topics that I have found are different enough or old enough that I felt that a new thread would be better. Now to get to the point of this thread.

The current DualShock 4 is a great controller. It's a solid design that works well in the home. It's also natively supported by Sony's Xperia cell phones for certain games as well as having Remote Play. However the controller is not very portable for taking with you outside of the home resulting in it just being left behind.

The solution to this is that there should be a compact DualShock 4 controller small enough to fit into a pocket but still offer full functionality and all the same buttons and touch pad. The main difference besides size is that it should have a clip built in for holding a cell phone. It should also pair over bluetooth just like the DualShock 4 does and effectively show up the same as a full-sized DualShock 4. It could also potentially show up as a generic gamepad to any device that does not recognize it as a DualShock 4.

This idea came about because I was an owner of an Xperia Play and many former owners still loved the concept of the phone even if the implementation was flawed and support was lacking. Despite this, I know that it did not sell terribly well and it is unlikely that we will ever see such a device again. However, it did start to bring about more controller support in games including native support for DualShock 3 and 4 controllers.

The big problem is that there isn't a strong de facto controller for everyone to get behind in the mobile space. Most of the cheaper controllers (and even some expensive ones) are of poor quality while others play games with additional apps for compatibility. This forces developers to try and support a wide range of different controller apps instead of using the native support built into Android since the Xperia Play was introduced.

The only thing really holding back the DualShock 4 being the primary choice is its size. The Xperia Play was an elegant, compact solution. While it may not be possible/viable to make something as compact as it was, it should be possible to reduce a good amount of the DualShock 4’s overall size into something much slimmer. It would be the next best thing to full integration while requiring less engineering to accomplish and resulting in a more viable product overall.

Having this on the market also complements the RemotePlay functionality in the Xperia phones and opens the door for the possibility of PlayStation Now coming to them. Eventually it would be great to see those also available over more than just WiFi (4G, eventually 5G), but it all has to start somewhere.

Message 1 of 7 (153 Views)
MVP Support
8605 posts

Re: DualShock Pocket

3 days ago

IF the remote play app had not been Released for PC/MAC Lap tops this MIGHT have stood a chance of actualy selling enought units to cover the cost of development...

The issue is that now the PC laptop remote play released device usage has moved users away from TINY screen devices...

The user base has shifted from tiny phone usage to Carrying lap tops in bags with a DS4 to PC dongle in the lap top bag with DS4... you just put the back pack on...

The User base has shifted that much that the holder and connector for the mobile phone is no longer produced by Sony mobile and sites are not gatting any new stock...

Instead the production shifted to making DS4 to PC dongles... 

If the vita had not flopped then there could have been a future but with the release of the PC/tablet/Mac and laptop app the users have moved, so this device won't have enough users sales... 

The Choice of 13 -17 inch screen size, REAL keybaord for text entry, Laptop quality speakers for audio has been just to Big a draw for users... 

Most have been using Lap top back backs since high school, still using one to remote play with there laptop is not that hard for them... "15 inch HP laptop" and DS4 does not get in the way...

What is actualy making New money is Travel cases and travel screens for hotel trips...

Portable 19 inch HDTV case design units are were you carry the Full PS4 and screen for hotel trips...

So remote play is not even needed as the console and HDTV are in the case...

SIEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester

From SIE blog firmware 4.50 post "There is no guarantee that all USB storage devices are compatible with your system." 

Message 2 of 7 (130 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

3 days ago

But how many of those people are going to bring a laptop with them everywhere they go? I'm talking about something small enough to fit in your pocket, not a backpack. If I were taking a backpack around with me, I would just put a full sized DS4 in it. But I'm not going to lug around a backpack where ever I go and I'm not always going to be able to plug a laptop and/or monitor in when I'm waiting to get my oil changed, or my hair cut, or when waiting for friends at a bar. My phone, on the other hand, is always with me and always available.

And you're right, the Vita could have nearly been this. Although the lack of L2/R2 and L3/R3 really should have been officially addressed by Sony instead of relying on third-party periphreals that took years to come out and even then are awkward at best. Had the Vita Slim added these controls, it could have been the perfect on-the-go candidate for PS4 with Remote Play, PS3 with PS Now, and PS1 with native emulation (plus a few native PS2 ports).

However Sony dropped the Vita too. They're pushing their Xperia phones as an alternative, but the entry level to get Remote Play is still close to $300. That's a hard upsell, but then again an Android phone can do a lot more. Frankly, I would have preferred a successor to the Xperia Play, but I'm being realistic in my expectations. And an accessory to their existing phones doesn't require a redesign of the phones themselves. It also isn't restricted to just Remote Play because there are also Android games that work with it (Final Fantasy VI as one example that I've used my DS4 with).

Even though Remote Play is on laptops now, I don't expect people to dump their cell phones for laptops. It's just the opposite. Smartphones have been outselling laptops for a while. So why not leverage that market better with a product better fit for it?

Message 3 of 7 (113 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

3 days ago

One more thing that I forgot to add. At the end of the day, this can still be used as a regular controller like any other DualShock 4. It doesn't need to be used with a phone, but it can be. So it has additional utility. Considering that I'm swapping my controllers every play session for dead batteries, having another available couldn't hurt.

Message 4 of 7 (94 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6063 posts

3 days ago
Not enough people would buy it to make it a worthy investment for Sony.
Consumer Services and Technical Support 1-800-345-7669
Mon - Fri, 8:00AM - 8:00PM PST

Live Chat
I don't work for Sony. Just a gamer helping others.
Message 5 of 7 (86 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
MVP Support
8605 posts

[ Edited ]
3 days ago

MechaBouncer wrote:

One more thing that I forgot to add. At the end of the day, this can still be used as a regular controller like any other DualShock 4. It doesn't need to be used with a phone, but it can be. So it has additional utility. Considering that I'm swapping my controllers every play session for dead batteries, having another available couldn't hurt.

Every body that has carried a Laptop though High school and college then Uni DOES carry there back pack bag every were... Thats the hole point...

Lap tops, Think pads, ultra books DO go every were with them... Thats the MARKET APPLE tried and failed to kill off with there IPAD, so returned to make ultra books laptops again...

Thats WHY SIE released the DS4 to PC/MAC adapter becuase the Users ARE taking there laptop PC/mac every were...

They have Spyware built in to the OS that records every device used as it HAS to dial home to their servers during remote play...

They never upgraded remote play to use Native on device Mic support for PSN chat untill after the PC/Mac users were on it...

Mobile users moaned for ever that remote play never had PSN chat usage PC/ MAC users Got it almost instantly...

This forum is full of POSTS asking HOW? do I get remote play to work on my hotel wifi with my PC...

As hotels start to block services more and more, PC/MAC users ask how to bypass the blocks... Sony mobile phone users don't...

They will not make any device with out high user count to justify the out lay... PS Vita user count allready has been dumped for PC/MAC and that has a built in controller included in the device... People were using small crap screens to remote play because thats the only choice they ever had, not because they wanted to...

SIEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester

From SIE blog firmware 4.50 post "There is no guarantee that all USB storage devices are compatible with your system." 

Message 6 of 7 (79 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

14 hours ago

We're still talking about two different product categories here. You say Apply tried to kill off laptops with the iPad. While that might be correct, the iPad is still is large enough that it requires a larger bag to carry it. But I'm not talking about comparing it to the iPad. I'm talking about comparing it to the iPhone. Yes, it has a smaller screen, but the benefit is greater portability without the necessity of an additional carrying case or bag.

You mention the Vita again. You know what killed the Vita? Smartphones. Not PCs. Smartphones. However Sony continues to struggle in this market because they bring little to the table compared to their competitors in this space. That's why you don't see people asking to do this on Xperia devices because people aren't buying them and any that are generally aren't taking a DualShock 4 around with them. The whole point of this is to offer something to fill that same role as the Vita with the minimum amount of effort by leveraging what Sony have already developed.

Fine. I'll concede that if I were going to stay somewhere I would drag my laptop along and prefer a larger screen. But that's not what this idea is about. This is about a product that can be used almost anytime and anywhere. Remote Play is just one use and it's still stuck with WiFi. But what if 4G could be leveraged for it instead? It might be a bit of a stretch, but data caps have been going higher in recent years. My own has raised from 2.5GB to 8GB over the last 3 years. It's to the point that I don't ever worry about running out of data anymore. Now just think if the WiFi restriction were removed and you truly could play anytime and anywhere. That's where this is heading and laptops are still going to be stuck with WiFi and power requirements unless you start messing with a hotspot or have a really good battery.

Beyond just Remote Play, it would function as a gamepad for Xperia phones as well. I hate using touch screens for most games. A proper gamepad works much better for most action titles. If Sony is going to start bringing their IP to mobile games, having a proper controller for them would be a great addition. It also allows for ports of existing games with controls intact.

Message 7 of 7 (26 Views)
0 Likes