Treasure Hunter
4010 posts

Re: Match the 4K TV to the PS4 Pro.

2 days ago
Is 4K here to stay?

What's after that? I know someone knows?

I skipped 3D tvs, thank God.

My 1080P still pops, or is it just that I haven't seen the light of 4K?

Nice thread @Pitiful_Humans
RIP OT Jan. 31, 2017

Mm Bop.
Message 11 of 37 (144 Views)
First Son
19 posts

2 days ago
Very nice John, I like your choice and you won't be disappointed. It's very similar to our living room home theater 4K Samsung and they are beautiful.

It's just out of my price range for our PS4 Pro setup in the bedroom.

What is your opinion on the above LG models, and do you have any recommendation between the 500 - 650 price USD range? I am open to any brand that fits the HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0 with HDR and preferably 4:4:4 which is why I liked the LG for the price.

I have a very responsive Monitor for high definition 4K gaming, so here I am less concerned with having the best and more concerned with just having a big TV that will be compatible with the PS4 Pro while being 4K and not having to have to manipulate the PS4 or go into safe mode etc to make it work.

I've been using a 1080i 32 inch for my bedroom tv for over half a decade, anything that works will be an upgrade.
Message 12 of 37 (143 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

2 days ago
GuitarGuru I agree keeping up with the " next best " thing can sometimes be tiring, my feelings especially with PC builds.

As others have mentioned not all 4K is the same, but I do believe I'll find my golden egg ( to fit my needs ) without spending more than 650, even if I must compromise here or there.

There are all sorts of things to consider from how far you are to the TV, to the technology used, etc. I would certainly say 4K is here to stay for awhile and the options are getting cheaper and better, so stay with what makes you happy until you find that good deal at the right time.
Message 13 of 37 (139 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4476 posts

2 days ago

Ah, I get it more now that I know this is a second 4K TV for the bedroom and the reason to look for a reduced price.

Sorry but I researched HDR only with low input lag for games while being a all around best main family TV. trying to stay as close to $1000 as possible or less. HDR is on very few games now but from what i have read it up's over all looks of more than 4K boost in the image. I hope it will continue to grow to all movies and games.

TV prices are very unstable I have seen that KS8000 I want rise and fall from $999 to 1499 at the same store. Your orginal choice may be a great choice. That price is crazy low for a 4K second TV.

I Enjoy Gaming I don't hate anything about it!
Message 14 of 37 (126 Views)
First Son
19 posts

2 days ago
I agree john if you're referencing the vizio on clearance for 379, my only concern is i believe since it is a D series the Forbes article reported some having problems with their PS4 pros giving a black screen.

Then I found an E series vizio around 500 that supposedly would work but vizio's response to consumers regarding their incapatabity with the PS4 Pro was slightly disheartening, e.g blaming the consumer.

Which lead me to the LG brand, as they have affirmed to have " supposedly " updated their software instead of pointing fingers. Both the A and 0 models are mid 500s. http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/uh6150 To my knowledge this review is good for both models since customer service could not discern a difference between the models.

So I'll probably end up with a LG, Samsung, or Sony if I can help it.

Appreciate your time.
Message 15 of 37 (121 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
140 posts

2 days ago

GuitarGuru2012 wrote:
Is 4K here to stay?

What's after that? I know someone knows?

I skipped 3D tvs, thank God.

My 1080P still pops, or is it just that I haven't seen the light of 4K?

Nice thread @Pitiful_Humans

Yes, 4K is here to stay just as SD and HD before it.

3D TVs and curved TVs are/were gimmicks. I do admit that curved monitors for PCs make sense, there's only one user placed in the center. A curved TV with multiple viewers causes more viewing angle problems than it helps.

It looks like HDR is probably here to stay too. The only problem I see with HDR is that it is optimally viewed in a room with only 5 nits (about 5 candles). Even so, people overall still say HDR is a better improvement than 4K.

8K will probably be after 4K but 8K will not become a noticable thing until at least 2020 or later.

Current HDMI standard is also changing from HDMI 2.0 to HDMI 2.1 and HDMI 2.1 will probably start appearing in 2018 products. HDMI 2.1 will have game mode variable refresh rate, support up to 10K 120hz, dynamic metadata for HDR-10, and enhanced audio return channel for Dolby Atmos and DTS X. Game mode variable refresh rate could be awesome for PC gaming on a big TV but won't be useful for consoles until the next generation of consoles.

Technology always changes so suggesting to wait for the next best thing is usually bad advice since you will be waiting forever. If there is significant enough value in upgrading now or you need to replace a TV that broke, then buy a TV now. If not, then wait until you feel the value in buying a new TV is worth it.

Message 17 of 37 (87 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
140 posts

2 days ago

Pitiful_Humans wrote:
Very nice John, I like your choice and you won't be disappointed. It's very similar to our living room home theater 4K Samsung and they are beautiful.

It's just out of my price range for our PS4 Pro setup in the bedroom.

What is your opinion on the above LG models, and do you have any recommendation between the 500 - 650 price USD range? I am open to any brand that fits the HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0 with HDR and preferably 4:4:4 which is why I liked the LG for the price.

I have a very responsive Monitor for high definition 4K gaming, so here I am less concerned with having the best and more concerned with just having a big TV that will be compatible with the PS4 Pro while being 4K and not having to have to manipulate the PS4 or go into safe mode etc to make it work.

I've been using a 1080i 32 inch for my bedroom tv for over half a decade, anything that works will be an upgrade.

@Pitiful_Humans

I would suggest the Sony XBR43X800D. It's only 43 inches but it hits all your wants except size. Here's a thread on Neogaf dedicated to it: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1276558

I don't think you're going to find a 55 inch 4K HDR TV (true HDR that has an 8 bit panel and not lacking wide color gamut). The Sony X700D in your OP has the panel and nits but not the wide color gamut.

Also 4K 60fps at 4:4:4 isn't possible with HDMI 2.0. I'm not sure how or why that setting gets in reviews. See image below for what's possible (18Gbps is max limit for HDMI 2.0).

Whatever TV you choose, find its input lag (rtings always has a section in their reviews for input lag) and make sure the input lag is under 50ms for the picture mode you will game on.

Message 18 of 37 (84 Views)
First Son
19 posts

Yesterday
@x_customize_x

I'm thinking of going for this Sony but had a few last questions before i purchase my PS4 Pro and tv.

After reading about 5 pages of the link you sent I am hesitant to purchase any lower end 4K LG, the only other affordable option for me is the Vizio M series which offers larger sizes with deeper blacks but a much smaller color gamut.

Also back to the Sony you linked,
The 43 Inch and 49 inch each have a different panel, the 49 inch being an IPS. Below is a quote from Rting.

" We tested the 43" (XBR43X800D). Note that the 49" variation (XBR49X800D) has an external power brick, instead of the internal one in the 43". The 49" also has an IPS panel, so expect a lower native contrast ratio and wider viewing angle compared to the 43" model we reviewed and closer performance to the X700D but with a wide color gamut. "

Some are saying the differences are negligible between the 43 and 49'inch Sony tvs if you adjust the settings

The only other TV I'm considering right now is the vizio M series because I can get a 50 - 55 inch for around the same price as the smaller Sony. I would just like your opinion on the difference between the 43 and 49 Sony variants, and if the larger screen size of the vizio m series is worth sacrificing a broader color gamut from the Sony.

Finally I've also read a review saying the Sony has washed out blacks that appear grey, and I do game a lot in the dark, but they wouldn't specifiy which panel or size variant. Thanks for your time and this should help me make my final decision.
Message 19 of 37 (51 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

Yesterday
799 for the 49 Inch variant isn't so bad, I'll be about 5 - 9 feet away so I may benefit more from the size increase, but I like dark blacks, i also like color. I couldn't find any Samsung under a 1000 that would be comparable to the Sony you recommended.

799 for the 49 Inch is pushing my budget, but I think I could stretch it if it was truly superior to all other options, including Samsung and the vizio M series. Decisions Decisions. Have a couple days to figure it out, plan to pick up the Pro this week.
Message 20 of 37 (47 Views)
0 Likes