Lombax Warrior
160 posts

Re: Nier Automata or Mass Effect Andromeda?

last month

@Mightylink There are several reasons people aren't excited about Andromeda.

1. ) People who didn't want a fresh start.  Many people fell in love with their characters, and were so immersed into the story that they weren't quite ready to let go.  Andromeda severs its ties with the trilogy, even as far as a comment made by Bioware that due to all the variations that could be had with the player's choices influencing who Shepard was and what they did, that Shepards story was not considered canon.  This didn't sit well with some of the fans.  Personally, I'm fine with a clean slate and new story.  People need to learn to say goodbye and let go sometimes.

2. ) Some people did let go.  For some the Trilogy ended the game with the impression that it was one of the greatest stories they have ever played. Controversies behind the ME:3 ending aside.  I think some people might be wary of this success being repeated.  Usually in the case of video games....its not. 

3.)  They turned it into something that is too different than what players experienced in the trilogy.  For some it may be the setting.  The lack of certain alien races from the first games.  For others, including myself, they introduced gameplay mechanics that limit the experience of freedom that the first 3 games would have allowed.  In Mass Effect 1 you would drive the Mako around freely on the surface of whatever moon/planet you landed it on.  Andromeda will no longer let you do that. You now will be required to find recharging stations so your life support systems stay up and you don't die.  Harsh planetary conditions were no issue for the Mako in the first game....but somehow they are now.  There were many things that people didn't like about Dragon Age: Inquisition, that Bioware felt necessary to bring to Andromeda. 

4. ) Lack of competitive multiplayer.  Mass Effect didn't recieve multiplayer until the 3rd game, but it only consisted of 4 player cooperative wave battles.  This is still the case with Andromeda. There are a lot of people apparently that buy a game for its multiplayer, and compared to other games, this one could be considered lacking.  I like cooperative modes, but one thing I've found is that coop players may be the minority.  It's usually really difficult to find matches in cooperative lobbies than it is in competitive PvP lobbies. 

5. ) They want to wait.  There are people reporting some problems with the game already that may ruin the experience of the first playthrough. I think many may be waiting to see if it gets ironed out at release, or if the problems linger on.  I was going to be one of those people, but I've been wanting this game for a while so i'll be heading to gamestop today to see if it got the necessary number of preorders in order to justify being open for a midnight release. (it's inside a mall that locks up at 9pm)

Message 11 of 21 (487 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
145 posts

last month

There are no reviews on Andromeda, so how can we compare? Nier Automata is absolutely killing in its reviews. Try the demo and see what you think.

Message 12 of 21 (471 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
162 posts

last month

Ouch i'll just leave this here.

Message 13 of 21 (464 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
36 posts

last month

Overwhelmingly Mass Effect Andromeda.

Kvally
Message 14 of 21 (463 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6330 posts

[ Edited ]
last month

I personally suggest Nier Automata, liked the demo and suggest you try the demo as well to help with your decision in to get it or not. .

As a big Mass Effect fan, the new one scares me from the videos I've seen - the writing, scripts, world build, and character appeal seems to have taken a back seat in this game (or are just downright awful/questionable). Now the Graphics for the world looks appealing but the animations and models are jarring to say the least... view the video below that may seem like trolling but it's just put together in a way to laugh about how bad it is. 

I mean,  isn't that disturbing? I expect better for a new game using a new engine (Frostybite of all engines, making impressive titles like Battlefield 1 and 4, Battlefront,  and the last Need for Speed), so apologies if I expect better. It makes me question how can the original Mass Effect Trilogy be better in all aspects outside the world graphics (albeit it was impressive for the time)?  Has anyone read this preview piece,  it scares me...

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/03/14/mass-effect-andromeda-review-opening-hours/

Or this if you don't want a writer bashing it too hard:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/03/16/mass-effect-andromeda-problems/

I mean if you just Google first few hours of Andromeda, the majority agree,  it's just not good.  And I know we want to defend a game from a series we love (as a fellow big Mass Fan),  keep in mind that this isn't the same Mass Effect development team,  writers,  or prior Bioware professionals we remember. Maybe the game gets much better after the first few rough hours but my confidence is not there at the moment. I suggest waiting on reviews for Mass Effect Andromeda personally before buying. As for me,  if my favorite reviewer ACG does not give it a "BUY" recommendation, I'll avoid it like my gut told me as I cancelled my pre-order.

P.S. I bought and beat the Mass Effect Trilogy and all its DLC twice on Origin (PC) and twice on my 360 (twice as in Paragon side and Renegade side). I bought the PS3 version as a fan but didn't beat it due to getting a PS3 console so near the PS4's launch. 

Message 15 of 21 (435 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4860 posts

last month

I am still getting the game. From what I have seen from the videos, people have been using the same footage from one person's experience in all their mock videos. I have seen other people live streaming it and having a good time. Time will tell. Even with some of the videos, it's kinda of funny but I do recall some moments in the original trilogy that people's faces weren't all that great. Maybe Garrus could swing by and save the day lol! Seeing the game needs some calibration done!

Thanks,
FreshRevenge

https://twitter.com/FreshRevenge
http://www.twitch.tv/thefreshrevengehaven

photo 512d0aca-9476-4802-855d-3554158e2e5e_zps0b4ea223.jpg
Message 16 of 21 (393 Views)
First Son
2 posts

last month
Easily NieR Automata. You're guaranteed story, storytelling, unforgettable characters, and amazing soundtrack. And in the end, you'll feel like you just came out of something meaningful, something more than just having finished a game.
Message 17 of 21 (378 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

NieR Automata In Depth Analysis - Narrative & Philosophy

last month
Hi guys. I made a pretty detailed analysis on NieR Automata's story in a way that I hope is informative and helpful towards adding more attention from the mainstream public concerning the narrative depth that Yoko Taro goes to. He's a breath of fresh air in today's world of gaming and while his past game had their flaws, his story elements and the discovery of those elements​ are unparalleled.

Keep in mind, it's spoiler dependant so only watch once you've played through the game's ending A through E.

https://youtu.be/JaRYfg1_ByI

Speaking of endings A through E, I'm also hoping the video helps squashes some people's misunderstanding about the "playing through multiple times" aspect of the game.
Message 18 of 21 (389 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1906 posts

Re: NieR Automata In Depth Analysis - Narrative & Philosophy

last month

Reviews are up for Andromeda.  Hmm.  I think I will still buy Andromeda but it only got 6 from GameSpot and 7.7 from IGN.  I have a feeling that devs will release major patch update because reviews are bad and maybe give away free DLC too.  Also it's AAA game.

Message 19 of 21 (279 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
162 posts

Re: NieR Automata In Depth Analysis - Narrative & Philosophy

last month

Sadaiyappan wrote:

Reviews are up for Andromeda.  Hmm.  I think I will still buy Andromeda but it only got 6 from GameSpot and 7.7 from IGN.  I have a feeling that devs will release major patch update because reviews are bad and maybe give away free DLC too.  Also it's AAA game.

Nier Automata is also a AAA game Andromeda is hot garbage.

Message 20 of 21 (275 Views)
0 Likes