May 16 2017
By: SuperVixen Gaming Beast 1841 posts

Ok so what's the VR really like?

[ Edited ]
19 replies 339 views Edited 6 days ago

I'm planning on getting one later this month and I've read some reviews but I'd like the opinions of average gamers just like myself. Are you glad you bought it? What do you think are it's biggest flaws? How is the screen door effect? I've heard some people say the SDE is better than the vive or rift and then I've heard some say it's worse? How long are you able to play it without taking a break? Does it start to make your eyes hurt or give you a headache? Thank you for any info you can provide.

Message 1 of 20 (339 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
33 posts

Re: Ok so what's the VR really like?

6 days ago

It takes a few tries to get used to, no real complaints I can think of.

VR is much better then I thought it would be!

Never tried any others, just Ps4 VR, but the main reason I would recommend it is the way

it really draws you into the game.

Message 2 of 20 (317 Views)
MVP Support
11923 posts

[ Edited ]
6 days ago

Gizmo668890 wrote:

It takes a few tries to get used to, no real complaints I can think of.

VR is much better then I thought it would be!

Never tried any others, just Ps4 VR, but the main reason I would recommend it is the way

it really draws you into the game.

Yep, its not just as simple as putting the thing on your head and playing your games.  You need to take a couple of minutes to run through the entire calibration process, and then take a couple more minutes to physically adjust the headset on your head to get the best possible view of the screen.

However, once you get it calibrated and fit properly, it's pretty awesome and the extra time you take to set it up is well worth it.

As for how long can you go continuously, I'd say you probably want to take a 10-15 minute break every hour to 90 minutes (which Sony reccommends, anyway), just to 'keep it real' because you WILL feel like your world is spinning for a few minutes after turning it off.

Message 3 of 20 (292 Views)
I Only Post Everything
860 posts

5 days ago

SuperVixen wrote:

I'm planning on getting one later this month and I've read some reviews but I'd like the opinions of average gamers just like myself. Are you glad you bought it? What do you think are it's biggest flaws? How is the screen door effect? I've heard some people say the SDE is better than the vive or rift and then I've heard some say it's worse? How long are you able to play it without taking a break? Does it start to make your eyes hurt or give you a headache? Thank you for any info you can provide.

Running through your questions.

Am I glad I bought it?

Yes, I am absolutely glad I bought PSVR. After using PSVR I am convienced that VR is the future, and it goes well beyond games and entertainment. I am really happy to be putting my money behind helping fund the future.

What are the biggest flaws?

Limited range of tracking and resolution. The resolution is simple, we just need more powerful hardware, plain and simple. Tracking is more challenging. The current set up works well tracking up and down, and side to side, but the lack of 360 degree tracking can break the immersion from time to time. One other issue is the loss of tracking when the controller needs to be moved in front of the headset. This causes the system to jerk around, and mis-read commands. Sports Bar VR and Carnival Games VR suffer due to this in some activities.

How is the screen door effect?

For me, not that bad. It is there, but it has never been a distraction. I have never tried the Vive, Rift, or Gear VR, so I am not sure how it stacks up.

How long can I play without breaks?

It all depends on the game. For standing games with motion, I can go anywhere from 30 min to 2 hours, depening on how intense the game is. For sitting, non motion based games, like RE7, I was able to play about 4 hours at a time. I think it comes down to how go of shape you are in more than anything.

Does it affect me?

I have not experienced any eye strain, headaches, or nausea. I have had about 50 people come and try it out, and the only issue I they have ran into was nausea in the driving games. Seems to be about 50/50 on whether Dirt and Driveclub are going to mess with you. 

My take so far

I have had PSVR since launch. I have bought 47 VR only titles, 15 VR experiences/video apps, and 6 titles that have VR side content. For me this has been the best time I have had gaming since PS1 and N64 brought us 3D gaming in the late 90's. It is definitly a first gen attempt at the tech, and it has its flaws, but it also has the ability to completely transport you to another world when it really works. Some great examples are Batman VR, PSVR Worlds, Until Dawn Blood Rush, Driveclub VR, Carnival Games, Fruit Ninja, Resident Evil 7, and Farpoint. These games hit the mark for me. They took me to another place. I think PSVR + Move is the best experience in console gaming right now, I am extreamly excited to see more content, and ready to jump on board with PSVR 2 whenever it arrives.

PlayStation = Innovation
Proud to live in the future with the best electronics on the planet.
Message 4 of 20 (246 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1841 posts

5 days ago

KBG29 wrote:

SuperVixen wrote:

Running through your questions.

Am I glad I bought it?

Yes, I am absolutely glad I bought PSVR. After using PSVR I am convienced that VR is the future, and it goes well beyond games and entertainment. I am really happy to be putting my money behind helping fund the future.

What are the biggest flaws?

Limited range of tracking and resolution. The resolution is simple, we just need more powerful hardware, plain and simple. Tracking is more challenging. The current set up works well tracking up and down, and side to side, but the lack of 360 degree tracking can break the immersion from time to time. One other issue is the loss of tracking when the controller needs to be moved in front of the headset. This causes the system to jerk around, and mis-read commands. Sports Bar VR and Carnival Games VR suffer due to this in some activities.

How is the screen door effect?

For me, not that bad. It is there, but it has never been a distraction. I have never tried the Vive, Rift, or Gear VR, so I am not sure how it stacks up.

How long can I play without breaks?

It all depends on the game. For standing games with motion, I can go anywhere from 30 min to 2 hours, depening on how intense the game is. For sitting, non motion based games, like RE7, I was able to play about 4 hours at a time. I think it comes down to how go of shape you are in more than anything.

Does it affect me?

I have not experienced any eye strain, headaches, or nausea. I have had about 50 people come and try it out, and the only issue I they have ran into was nausea in the driving games. Seems to be about 50/50 on whether Dirt and Driveclub are going to mess with you. 

My take so far

I have had PSVR since launch. I have bought 47 VR only titles, 15 VR experiences/video apps, and 6 titles that have VR side content. For me this has been the best time I have had gaming since PS1 and N64 brought us 3D gaming in the late 90's. It is definitly a first gen attempt at the tech, and it has its flaws, but it also has the ability to completely transport you to another world when it really works. Some great examples are Batman VR, PSVR Worlds, Until Dawn Blood Rush, Driveclub VR, Carnival Games, Fruit Ninja, Resident Evil 7, and Farpoint. These games hit the mark for me. They took me to another place. I think PSVR + Move is the best experience in console gaming right now, I am extreamly excited to see more content, and ready to jump on board with PSVR 2 whenever it arrives.

Thanks for the in depth reply. I don't have much experience with racing games and I was wondering is Driveclub something a noob to that genre can easily play or is it more advanced skill?

Message 5 of 20 (231 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11923 posts

5 days ago
Driveclub is pretty easy to pick up, and VR definitely adds to the experience, so I would definitely start there. As far as I know, it is currently the only racing game with a VR option.

If you do get PSVR, I would start with Playroom VR and some demos (all free) and go from there. Driveclub VR does have a demo, so I would definitely check that out.
Message 6 of 20 (209 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1841 posts

5 days ago

BBurgSteve wrote:
Driveclub is pretty easy to pick up, and VR definitely adds to the experience, so I would definitely start there. As far as I know, it is currently the only racing game with a VR option.

If you do get PSVR, I would start with Playroom VR and some demos (all free) and go from there. Driveclub VR does have a demo, so I would definitely check that out.

Ohh nice thanks. I completely forgot about demos. I haven't tried any in so long.

Message 7 of 20 (185 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1305 posts

5 days ago

I've had mine since launch and I've only played it like 4 times. I'm gonna sell it whenever I get around to it. It is cool but maybe i should try a game with it that would make me enjoy it more. rush of blood was cool but made me dizzy which is another reason I haven't bothered with it in months.

"They used to think Anklegators were extinct, we'll turns out ...they aint!" Bastion
Message 8 of 20 (158 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

5 days ago

SuperVixen wrote:

After saving up the money for months, (I started saving even before the PSVR was released), I got my PS VR in February when I finnally found one and I was lucky enough to get it. I played it with my family for 5 hours (1 hour intervals) after I got it home and set it up, without experiencing any problems concerning motion sickness, eyes hurting, headache, ... The screen door effect really isn't that noticable unless you are *really* looking for it and your eyes ajust to the headset after the first few times playing it.  The graphics on the games vary from game to game with some being just great like in "Rigs Mechanized Combat League" but in others that don't have as much effort as "AAA games" have put into them the graphics quality is slightly lower but again it is really not that noticable. My First true Experience that I experienced problems in it was when I was playing "Robinson The Journey VR" and my brother walked into the room and took the controller and started playing the game normally without slowing down how fast you turn and move in the game, and it gave me motion sickness for the rest of the day. I would say before you start playing VR make sure no one disturbs you while you are in VR, otherwise I have not had any other problems with it, I usually drink Ginger tea before I play VR because it eliminates my motion sickness for when I play for long periods in VR although I have read it doesn't work for everyone.  The longest I have ever played for is 2 hours and 45 minutes and I still had no problems with motion sickness.  Personally I have tried Vive and Oculus Rift, and I think that the PS VR is the best out of all of them even though it doesn't have a 4K screen. For the part about making your eyes hurt personally I haven't had any problems with it as long as you continue to blink your eyes like you would normally.  Overall I think it was definately worth the initial cost and it is worth every penny and I am very glad I got one. The PSVR's build quality is really nice too, the only problem I have is trying to keep the lenses clean. Make sure if you get one to clean the lenses everytime you use it and keep it in an area with a low amount of dust flow.  The one problem that I have experienced the most though is trying to get my family not to use it when I am not home, although they continue to try it without me.

Message 9 of 20 (153 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4679 posts

5 days ago

Yes I am very glad I purchased the PSVR bundle. Even though I had a camera already the added full VR worlds disc and aim controller's along with a second demo disc I felt the bundle was the best choice.

The biggest flaw is heat build up in the head set. It gets very warm and uncomfortable in about a hour of use for me. I am looking for a small fan to use that may move the air a little under the headset.

The screen door was the first thing i looked for when I demoed one! Yes you can see it if you look hard however when you change your focus to viewing the whole picture in front of you its gone.

PSVR is the only one I have used so I can not comment on the others.

I have played for many hours with only pulling out the head set to fan out heat for 5-10 seconds. 3D movies are also great in PSVR headset

My eyes have never hurt and I ware bifocal glasses. Nor a headache. I do feel off balance when the rollercoaster goes down hill real fast in Until Dawn Rush of Blood but love the game and the rush down hill is a very small part of the game itself. I also had a line of cars pass me and cut across the front of my car in the Drive Club demo that made me feel like i was going to fall over. Its strange but Vr Luge down hill race does not have the same effect.

My main reason for buying PSVR is my hope it will come to Elite Dangerous a mmo space sim!!!!!

It's not something I would want to use all the time for gaming I still enjoy just playing on my 27" monitor. But knowing I can put on PSVR and not watch a game but be in it is still a excellent choice that i can make when I want to experience it that way. It take time to get used to the VR world it helps to start with short time use each day and work up if you have issues with it.

I Enjoy Gaming I don't hate anything about it! Elite Dangerous is coming June 27th to PS4
Message 10 of 20 (151 Views)
0 Likes