Apr 20 2017
By: Diresins Hekseville Citizen 298 posts

"Appear Offline" Option Pointless After Update

11 replies 286 views Edited 5 days ago

Greetings fellow PlayStationers,

The option to appear offline is useful for many reasons which are all pretty much self evident. Unfortunately, with the update that changed the "Appear Offline" icon, it is now utterly pointless. The Icon now differs from the Red/White "X" that appears when the player is genuinely offline; the symbol looks like a mini cell phone. Therefore, the icon basically says that player is online, but doesn't want you to know he or she is online... That makes absolutely no sense. Sony, please fix this and revert it back to the old way it was. If I missed something that can explain or justify their decision to do this, please explain. Thank you all, and thank you Sony.

Dire

Message 1 of 12 (286 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1139 posts

Re: "Appear Offline" Option Pointless After Update

5 days ago

If you go trhough the settings on your ps4, you will find that there is an option to have the phone icon while you are 'offline', or have the red 'x'. Go to your

profile on your ps4, and go to the 3 dots so you can edit your profile. Then simply go to 'managing your friends list', then scroll all the way down.

Message 2 of 12 (264 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
5220 posts

5 days ago

I've noticed this as well.

Now the Appear Offline option doesn't make you appear offline at all. It's just an 'I have an icon that looks like a mobile phone' option.

In fact, it's been reduced to the old Do Not Disturb option on the PS3, which was pointless, as everyone totally ignored it.

Still gives you a partial excuse to ignore people though, but not quite the same thing.

Message 3 of 12 (255 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
5220 posts

[ Edited ]
5 days ago

jayistheway wrote:

If you go through the settings on your ps4, you will find that there is an option to have the phone icon while you are 'offline', or have the red 'x'. Go to your

profile on your ps4, and go to the 3 dots so you can edit your profile. Then simply go to 'managing your friends list', then scroll all the way down.

I'll have to look for this.

I don't remember out being told of this in the release notes though.

I hope this is a persistant change, and not something that we have to do every bleeding time we choose Appear Offline.

Message 4 of 12 (253 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3245 posts

[ Edited ]
5 days ago

The phone icon just means that the person has the PS App installed on their phone. So they are offline when you see that icon.

I like it personally.

Message 5 of 12 (240 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1040 posts

[ Edited ]
5 days ago

I thought the phone icon just means they use the app on thier phone.? Not that you are online or do not disturb. I don't use the app really and I uninstalled the app and the icon went away for me.

Xbox: SuzyRedd
Twitch Channel: Surrender Dorothy
YouTube Channel: Surrender Dorothy

[URL=http://www.trueachievements.com/SuzyRedd.htm][IMG]http://www.trueachievements.com/gamercards/SuzyRedd.png[/IMG][/URL]
Message 6 of 12 (185 Views)
MVP Support
9473 posts

5 days ago

The option to remove the mobile icon and have the "X" being displayed next to your username can be brought back by doing the following...

Go to your profile on the PS4 menu.

Change Privacy Settings > Managing Your Friends List and Messages > Off-Console Availability

From there you can turn off the mobile icon and appear offline even if you are reading messages on the PS App.

Message 7 of 12 (178 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
287 posts

[ Edited ]
5 days ago

bstn617 wrote:

The phone icon just means that the person has the PS App installed on their phone. So they are offline when you see that icon.

I like it personally.

Not exactly true..... you're not offline if your phone is on lol

I didnt' know you could change the phone icon though and have it just show a red X if your PS4 isn't on.

But the whole point of the phone mesaging app is so you don't miss messages if you don't turn your console on in days, or weeks  (i'm playing my PS2 backlog atm lmao, and my friend has messaged me a few times actually). If your friends see you as completely offline, they most likely won't bother sending any message they want to tell you right away as opposed to something that can wait.

Message 8 of 12 (173 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1040 posts

5 days ago

Cloud__Rulez wrote:

bstn617 wrote:

I like it personally.

I didnt' know you could change the phone icon though and have it just show a red X if your PS4 isn't on.

But the whole point of the phone mesaging app is so you don't miss messages if you don't turn your console on in days, or weeks  (i'm playing my PS2 backlog atm lmao, and my friend has messaged me a few times actually). If your friends see you as completely offline, they most likely won't bother sending any message they want to tell you right away as opposed to something that can wait.

It dosent mean you are online on your ps4 or ps3 or Vita. It just means you have and use the app. My friends send me message even when I am not online if its something they want to ask me or tell me about. You are not going to miss anything if you are not online lol

Xbox: SuzyRedd
Twitch Channel: Surrender Dorothy
YouTube Channel: Surrender Dorothy

[URL=http://www.trueachievements.com/SuzyRedd.htm][IMG]http://www.trueachievements.com/gamercards/SuzyRedd.png[/IMG][/URL]
Message 9 of 12 (154 Views)
Fender Bender
2534 posts

5 days ago

Cloud__Rulez wrote:

bstn617 wrote:

I like it personally.

The icon also appears if your phone is off. The only way to get rid of it is to delete the ap.

But the OPs point is in fact false. The icon does not mean "appearing offline" Which means your console is actually on.

Message 10 of 12 (148 Views)